Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Running Is Awesome

Many times in my life, I've been asked the question, "But why do you run?".  Often, the asker will receive some manner of sarcastic response like "Because I like to eat" or "I didn't have the coordination for basketball".  But really, the answer is so much more complicated, and simple at the same time.
I run because it makes me happy.  Because it's fun.  Because it makes me feel strong.  I run because running makes me so much more than I am.  It has helped me to meet the most amazing people, travel all over the country, and receive amazing opportunities for college.  It helps me to set huge goals for myself in the future, and dream of things that could never come to pass had I not befriended running my freshman year.
Of course, running will always have its ups and downs.  There will always be days when you wake up and think of all the things you could be doing instead.  But the ability to work through those days and push oneself to go the extra mile (Literally.  Ha ha.  Someone needs to stop me from making these terrible jokes) even when it's the last thing you want to do is what separates the rising stars from the has-beens.  The people who go on to win championships from the people who had a good few years when they were younger, but faded quickly from glory.  Overcoming those days or weeks or months when you feel overtrained or get injured or just don't feel like it is a difficult journey.  Not everyone makes it to the end, but for those who do, it is always worth it.  There are trials in almost everything.  What's important is developing the strength of will to overcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment