Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Fitness For Life Woes

As any high school student in Utah will know, Fitness for Life is one of several classes that are state-mandated for graduation.  When I was a sophomore, I deemed that class unimportant and opted to take other classes instead.  Unfortunately, as a result of that, I am now a senior in my last semester of high school faced with completely the class online or being unable to graduate with my classmates.  I would start a petition against it if I was more motivated.  Alas, I'm stuck ranting about my woes here instead.  You all have my sincerest apologies.
Why Fitness for Life is Silly and I Shouldn't Have to Take It (In class or online):
-I run 50+ miles a week already.  If that hasn't helped me on my way to fitness, I don't think 30 minutes a day doing bicep curls or walking the indoor track at my school is going to either.
-Too much exercise does not a good competitor make.  While all of my opponents are focused entirely on their running, I have to give up excess energy trying to meet the requirements for this class.  And it breaks my heart.
-I'm on a pretty strict training schedule, and 99.9% of the exercises prescribed for Fitness for Life are not on the regimen.  I am a long-distance runner.  Typically, this type of athlete trains to be smaller, quicker and build lean muscle, not bulk up.  Right now, I am on a unit that requires me to find out my bench press max and other similar things, then do repetitions of said exercises.  These exercises are of no use to me, and it embarrasses me to see how little my skinny arms are capable of lifting.
-Again, I'm a distance athlete, and have been for the last four years.  My coaches believe in being a student of your sport and researching the best ways to eat, sleep, train and live.  If I haven't learned by now the difference between cardio and strength training, I think I'm doing something wrong.
Let this be a lesson to you, sophomores.  Just get your classes over with when you should.  Maybe don't wait until the last semester of high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment