Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Anti-Pickup Lines For Female Runners

If you are a female runner, chances are you've been catcalled, whistled at, shouted at, and/or leered creepily at at some point or another.  Much as I wish it wasn't true, this is often something that simply comes with the sport (as well as several others).  Since we as a sport wear fairly limited clothing most of the time, cut for speed, breathability, and movability, it leaves us open to unwanted remarks from fellow pedestrians and those obnoxious kids who sit in the back row of your English class.  Our very sport leaves us open to comments about our sanity, and what exactly we think we're doing.  So, I've composed a list of ways to respond to tacky pickup lines on the run, as well as frustrating commentary from those you share the sidewalk with.
Pedestrian:  "Where are you off to in such a hurry?" *high fives from other eight grade boys*
You:  "Hopefully the Olympics." *high fives self and runs away*

Pedestrian:  "What's the rush?"  *sips soda beckons you in to their sedentary ways*
You:  *stops and explains that you are doing an interval workout, with a pace that will hopefully bring you closer to your goal of x:xx.x in the mile, and runs away, leaving them baffled*

Pedestrian:  "Nice shirt.  Where's the other half?"
You:  "I sold it to the devil in exchange for my PR in the 3200."

Pedestrian:  "You're crazy!"
You:  ...There really is no disputing this.

Pedestrian:  "Nice bum!"
You:  "Thank you, I made it myself." *runs away and calls the cops*

Random Driver:  *barks*
You:  *wonders why Kearns is so weird*

Pedestrian:  "Bro, do you even lift?"
You:  "Yes, though my workouts are meant to tone my muscles rather than increase their size.  You see, as a distance runner, I need to be small and lithe rather than bulky and swole."

1 comment:

  1. Lys. How the freak are ya? I just read your entire blog today and I have to admit that I love it. I miss you buddy. "Its cool we're just friends." I will definitely be following you from now on... not in a creepy way of course....

    ReplyDelete