Monday, August 17, 2015

I'm a Gym Rat

Like most cross country runners in high school, I avoided the gym like the plague.  When our coaches had us go in to lift, I would typically hide in the corner and chat or pretend to be doing something with the free weights.  Over the summer, however, Jacob got into lifting quite a bit and needed a lifting buddy to go with him at hours that were upsettingly early to say the least.  I decided to buy a gym pass for one month so I couldn't back out of it even if it was terrible and join him for a little while because he claimed that it would improve my running.
The first day was pretty awful.  He claimed it was shoulder day, but it felt suspiciously like it was arm day in disguise.  As a matter of fact, every day felt like arm day in disguise.  The day after my first day in the gym, I thought my arms were going to fall off.  I have never been that sore in my life.  But for some reason I kept going back.  I slowly began morphing into a gym rat.  Jacob and I would go to the gym first thing in the morning and lift for an hour or so every day, then go drink protein and compare bicep size like a couple of weirdos.  Just kidding-our biceps never got big enough to actually compare size.  We did morph into full on gym weirdos for a couple weeks though.  We both even bought lifting gloves and bro tanks so we would look like true professionals.
Believe it or not, lifting actually was not terrible for me as a distance runner.  After a few weeks, I even came to like it.  But, like anything else, it had its pros and cons.
Pros:
-You feel like a stud
-It doesn't take that long to see some results
-It makes you feel accomplished
-It gives you an excuse to eat a little more

Cons:
-Your body will hate it for awhile
-Like seriously, it's awful
-You might die
-Even if you don't die, you'll complain so much that your buddy will want to kill you

Try it.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment