Saturday, August 29, 2015

Happy Gear Day

Ah, gear day.  Quite possibly the most exciting day of the year for college athletes.  It's honestly a lot like Christmas but with more clothing and less unwrapping.  So, for those of you who have never experienced it, this is what a gear day experience goes like.  (At least for me)
-You are notified that you may now pick up your gear and get your very own locker, and your heart nearly explodes out of excitement.
-You report to the equipment room only to find that the head honcho isn't there at the moment
-You come back four hours later and wait awkwardly in a room full of football players whose thighs are bigger than your entire body
-The head honcho shows up and he is super intimidating.  You consider fleeing, but your desire to get your cool new stuff helps you find the willpower to stay
-Head honcho shows you to your locker
-You almost go blind from the sheer awesomeness of this moment, but you collect yourself long enough to grab your stuff and take off
-You get back to your dorm and roll around in the new things.  (Okay, not really.  But you do look at it for a really long time.)
We haven't gotten our team jackets yet, and the freshman still have to wait to be issued uniforms, backpacks, and duffel bags, but I'm already too excited about all of that.  I think the mascot on our gear is absolutely the cutest thing, and getting new things makes me really happy anyway.  I wanted to wear all of my things at once, but then I remembered it's August so it's still probably too warm out.  Maybe once the Montana winter sets in I'll be able to do that without looking quite as silly.  But until then, I will try to restrain myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment