Thursday, July 30, 2015

Favorite Running Products

Howdy kids.  Today, I'm going to tell you all about my favorite things to throw money at for the sake of running.   And maybe if I'm feeling particularly generous and a little less lazy, I'll include links and prices in case you decide you want to throw money at them too.  De nada.
Shoes
I've always preferred to run in a neutral shoe with a toe box that doesn't mangle my wide feet.  I was a Nike snob throughout high school, but after discovering that MSU isn't allowed to purchase Nikes for their athletes to train in, I went over to Park City Running Company and got a pair of Sauconies. They can both be purchased online and in stores.  I usually got my Nikes from the factory store in Park City because they're discounted quite a bit there, and the Park City team gets a discount at Park City Running Company.  I run between 45-55 miles a week on a combination of trails and pavement, and they work well for both without giving me any issues.
Saucony Kinvara
For a the most recent model, they are about $100, but you can find them for less at outlet stores and discount running websites.
Link to buy here.

Nike Flyknit Lunars
These ones run a little higher, between $100-$150 for the newest models.  I usually get the previously released edition at a Nike outlet store and they run between $50-$80.
Get them here.

Spikes
When it comes time to race, I am Saucony all the way.  I run in the Saucony Kilkenny XC4 and the Saucony Endorphin LD4s.  They're lightweight, comfortable, and they have a wider toe box than most other brands.
Kilkenny XC4
Since the XC5s have been released, these are fairly cheap, ranging from $30-60.
Get them here
Endorphin LD4
Some reviews online critique these for being too thin and tearing easily, but I've had both the LD3 and LD4, and never had a problem with either.  They are the lightest racing shoes I've owned, and they held up well for me.
These are between $80-$100 depending on where you get them.
Buy here.
Socks
I raced in the same pair of socks every time from my second meet of freshman year on.  Unfortunately, they ripped at Nike Cross Regionals and Nike no longer sells the exact same pair, so I'm stuck with other options for now.  For training in, I've found the the Nike OTC compression socks work very well, especially if you are having trouble with shin splints, and their training socks with the compression band around the arch and tab at the back are great for racing.
Compression Socks
Available here
Racing socks
.
Go here if you want to give people your money for socks.

Shorts/Tights
Like I said before, I'm a bit of a Nike snob, so I'm sorry for all of the Nike gear that you're seeing on here.  But I promise it's quality.
Nike 3" Tempo
I own like 10 pairs of these, and I have one pair that I got freshman year that is still just as good now as when I got them.  Get them here.
My favorite spandex are actually volleyball spandex.  They were the ones that we were given as uniform bottoms at Nike Nationals my junior year, and they're the best spandex I've ever owned.  They don't ride up at all, and they're 100% more flattering than the previous uniform shorts I had.
As far as tights go, Under Armour has always treated me well.  Since most of them come with the elastic around the bottom, they tend to protect your ankles from snow better if you're dumb enough to try and trail run in eight inches of fresh powder.  Not that I would know.
Give these nice people your money if you want them.

Tops
I regret to admit that for the most part, though I graduated high school, I didn't graduate the idea that cotton t-shirts are the perfect tops to run in.  I do wear the occasional tech fit shirt, but since I'm on my way to being a poor college student, I can't afford too many.
I can no longer find the jacket that I got last year from Nike, but this one is very similar.  They're light, packable, and water resistant.  It's nice to be able to take a lightweight jacket on fall and spring runs just in case it gets chilly, and I took mine hiking a few times when I wasn't sure if it would rain or not and didn't want to pack a heavier jacket.
But it here.
Under Armour also offers great jackets for running.  The one I got last winter was light enough to go on long runs in without feeling too weighed down or overheated, but it definitely did its job.  

Watch
As I said in a previous post, I am a big Garmin fan.  The Forerunner 620 is worth the money any day.

Get it here
Other things that are worth looking into are foam rollers and muscle sticks.  Deep blue muscle rub is also great, but fair warning, your teammates might tell you that you smell like the cleaning solution used in porta potties.

No comments:

Post a Comment