Sunday, December 28, 2014

I Am a Slug

This Monday, I got to go for a run again.  I was expecting euphoria.  After two weeks off, this was a long-anticipated event.  And it very nearly killed me.  I was told to only run 40 minutes a day for this first week back.  When I heard that, I was surprised.  I typically run around 50 miles a week.  40 minutes a day would probably average out to around 30.  "I'll probably end up doing more than that." I told myself.  "Running is the best."
Day 1 proved me wrong.  Trudging through those five miles, I suddenly realized how people might sometimes hate running.  My lungs burned.  My sad little legs quivered.  I felt like a middle-aged obese asthmatic.  And when I got home, I consumed unholy amounts of chocolate and holiday-themed desserts.  It was no doubt horrifying to behold.  But, for some reason, as I always do, I found myself back on the roads for the rest of the week.  That's the great thing about running.  It might suck sometimes, but it doesn't suck forever.  And 99.9% of the time when it doesn't feel like Satan jabbing your legs with little pitchforks, it is the best feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment