Friday, September 25, 2015

Apparently Hips DO Lie: My Adventures in PT

After the first few weeks of training here, I noticed that my IT bands were starting to flare up again and that I had some unusual fatigue in my quads and hamstrings.  Thinking it would be a quick fix, I went in to the training room to see if they could rub me out and have me on my way.  Instead, they diagnosed me with a weak booty and lazy hip flexors that would need to be remedied as soon as possible to prevent injury and help improve my biomechanic efficiency.  To teach my hip flexors how to be contributing members of society again, I was told to come in for rehab/PT three days a week.
This is how my rehab sessions typically go:

  • Walk in and look around aimlessly for awhile.  Try to decide which exercise to torture my body with first.
  • Decide to "warm up" on a foam roller
  • Get told I'm in the way of something important by the football team 3-4 times
  • Pick a spot where I won't get crushed and roll out for way longer than necessary while snapchatting my friends to make sure they all know how hard rehab is
  • Give up on procrastinating because I have class later and get my sheet of prescribed exercises from the training room
  • Cry a little
  • Think about how strong my glutes and hips had better be after this
  • Mourn the fact that immediate results are not a thing in strength training
  • Tell the trainers the exercises are "a little tough" while screaming internally so they don't realize how weak I really am and judge me for it.
  • Think about how inflexible I am  (AKA cooldown stretches)
  • Hobble out of the training room and lie on the floor of my dorm for awhile while pondering what I could have possible done to deserve this
In all seriousness, rehab isn't bad at all.  But I definitely am a lot weaker than I thought I was in some areas.  I've know for quite awhile that I have a tendency to run with one foot directly in front of another (Jacob always says "Lyssa, you're running on your tightrope" to let me know I'm doing it), but for whatever reason I've always just pretended that if I ignored it long enough it would just leave me alone.  I guess once you start running on a collegiate level, you're no longer allowed to pretend your problems don't exist.  I'm hoping that once I get all of my weaknesses worked out, I'll be able to drop a rock solid 4:00 mile.  Just kidding, that might be a bit ambitious.  I'll aim for a 4:01 instead.  After all of these squats, I think I should be at least that fast.  Or maybe just switch sports and be a body builder instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment