Monday, February 29, 2016

Big Sky Conference

This last weekend, Montana State had the opportunity to host the Big Sky Indoor conference championships.  It was definitely nice to have the meet at home for several reasons:
1.  I got to sleep in my own bed
2.  We didn't have to drive to the meet then immediately drive back home after it was done
3.  I got to pretend it was just a normal weekend until I entered the fieldhouse so stress levels were way down
4.  I got to have my normal pre-race cheerios and gatorade in the dining hall
Fellow Southwestern Sasquatch Tyler is in the Big Sky Conference Also

The meet kicked off Thursday morning with the multi events.  They wrapped up on Friday afternoon, when the throwing and jumping events started.  I ran my first event Friday night, competing as the 1600m leg of the distance medley.  My team was shooting for a school record time of 11:57, and although we fell a little short of it, I think my teammates all performed incredibly well, bringing us in with a sixth place finish.
Kenzie and CalDon were able to come out for the race

Saturday wrapped up most of the running events.  My teammate Layne kicked everything off for the distance side of things with another personal best (she's been running faster and faster every week) and a seventh place finish in the mile.  Next, Kaylee absolutely crushed it, winning the 800m (which was her third 800m race in 48 hours because she also ran the distance medley and the 800m prelims).  My last event was the 3k.  Going in, I was ranked 8th and hoping to make the podium so I was fairly nervous.  The race got out fairly slow.  We came through the first mile about 6 seconds behind where I typically do because no one really wanted to take the lead.  It was all packed up for the first 400, then started gradually breaking up.  The first 1k felt laughably easy, but by the time the second one rolled around, I felt like I was just clinging onto the pace for dear life.  I ended up finishing in fourth with a new time of 10:04 (or 9:44 with conversion).  I was fairly conflicted about my finish because I was a little disappointed not to make the podium by one place, but I was very happy to get a new personal best and score points at my first indoor conference.  
I like to think my biceps look massive in this #jokes
I'm really looking forward to my outdoor season now.  This is one of the first season in awhile that I have finished feeling completely fresh and ready to continue running.  Go Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment