Monday, December 28, 2015

Using Athletics as a Justification

I've noticed a startling new habit in myself as of late.  It started around the beginning of my junior year in high school when I got really serious about running.  Anytime I needed an excuse for something, I turned to athletics.  GPA not quite where your mom wanted it?  It's because you're an athlete.  How can you be expected to run and do homework?  Did you eat something that was supposed to be for a special occasion?  You were probably blinded by your intense need for calories.  Is this the second week in a row that you've been wearing running tights?  Well, you just have so many of them and it hardly makes sense for you to keep changing back and forth between jeans and running tights when you're doing two-a-days.
Here is how a typical conversation with me might go when I've done something wrong:
"Lyssa, you slept in until 1..."
"I'm an athlete."
"Hey uhm, that cake was for everyone."
"I'm an athlete."
"So that assignment was due two weeks ago."
"Sorry, I'm an athlete."
"Just how long has it been since you took a shower or brushed your hair?"
"Don't ask silly questions, I'm an athlete."
And so on and so forth.  I have a very real problem.  I'm sure there will come a day when I'm more mature and I don't say things like, "Well, I already have 10 pairs of running tights, but I am a runner and I do go to school in Montana, so I should probably buy these.  They're on sale anyway!", but it will probably not be for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment