Sunday, June 21, 2015

Girls On the Run

A few weeks ago, I had the chance to participate in the Girls on the Run program as a running buddy.  It was a great opportunity, and it made the feminist in me more happy than I can say.  If you haven't ever heard of this program, it is one in which young girls can sign up to run one of their 5k's, then train with the local leaders and other girls in their area for a few months leading up to the race.  It helps these girls to make friends, learn more about staying physically fit, empower themselves, and discover their own abilities.  And they give the kids capes to wear the day of the race, which is probably the best part about it.
Why do I love GOTR so much?  Because it teaches young girls that they can do hard things.  It combines some of my favorite things:  Running and feminism.  Running taught me how to be more confident, how to believe in myself, and how to work hard for the results that I want in life.  It's always been my greatest form of stress relief, problem solving and self-discovery.  It's wonderful to see an organization that helps to teach others how to use running for something positive.
The day of the race itself was incredible.  There were hundreds of girls from all over Utah with family, friends, and their very own running buddies there to cheer them on.  Booths were set up where they could get fierce hairdos, temporary tattoos, and support from the community.  These young ladies had worked hard to prepare for this race, and it was great to see the positive reaction from everyone in their lives.
I hope that all of the girls who ran were able to discover for themselves how wonderful and empowering running can be, and that this program can continue to inspire many more young people in the future.  Keep it up, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment