Friday, May 1, 2015

Davis Invitational

I had my first race back in Utah last weekend at the Davis Invitational, and it was stupendous.  Jacob and I drove down together, so I got to watch him race as well.  He is incredibly fun to watch when he races.  And pretty stressful.  He ran the 800, and came through the first 400 close to last.  Then he started his kick and finished in third place.  He probably passed at least ten people in the last 300 meters, and he was just behind the leaders when he came through the finish.  It was awesome.
My race wasn't until several hours after his, so I got to spend some time with my team singing Fergalicious and hydrating too well.  It was much more relaxed than the first two races I went to this season.  I raced the 1600 first, and I was honestly not feeling all that well through the first 800m.  (Though this may have been because the pace was much faster than I thought it was).  However, with about 600 to go, I thought "Well, I haven't died yet, so I guess I might as well kick.  I ended up passing the leader with 250 to go and won with a 4:56.  It was really ironic because I went down to race at sea level twice in an attempt to get a new PR and ended up getting it here in Utah.  But it was definitely wonderful to have a good race.
I raced the 800m in the medley about an hour after that.  The other girls on my team raced really well, and we ended up taking first in that as well.  Since my 3200 was only about 15 minutes after the medley, my coach told me just to tempo it and run an 11:30 to state qualify instead of going all out and potentially exhausting myself for BYU this weekend.  It was a little frustrating to have to sit towards the back of the pack and know that I could run faster, but I also think they were right not to have me race it all-out after all of the other races I did that day.
I'll be racing again tomorrow in the Golden Hour 1600m at the BYU invitational.  I'm hoping it will go well, but I'm not looking for any specific time anymore.  I'm just aiming to enjoy the last few races of my high school career.

No comments:

Post a Comment