Thursday, April 2, 2015

Pineview Invitational

Last weekend, as many Utah runners will know, Pineview Invitational was held in St. George.  I hadn't been planning on racing again until Mt. Sac, but my coach texted me and asked how I would feel about running an 800 there, and I had been planning on going to St. George anyway, so I figured running one race wouldn't be too bad.
I drove down with Jacob on Thursday afternoon, and we got to go on several runs together while we were there.  We spent the weekend at his grandmother's house, and it was tons of fun.  It was a little strange going down there and not focusing completely on my race, but it was also very enjoyable.  
We both raced the 800 on Saturday afternoon.  I had some trepidation when I got to the track and it was approximately 500 degrees, and I think that my competitors were somewhat disgusted by how much I was sweating, but the race itself wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  I accidentally went out in a 32 for my first 200, and ended up with a final time of 2:20, so it's obvious I need to work more on negative splitting and not running my 800s like they're 400s.  
After the race, Jacob and I went to the Desert Hills track and did a workout.  It was 5x600m in 1:50-1:55, and I briefly thought I was going to die.  For some reason, schools in St. George haven't realized that black tracks are not the wisest choice for an area that averages a temperature of about 80 degrees.  It felt good to accomplish, though, and I'm glad that I did it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment